If you have been successful in shedding a huge quantity of weight, you might have loose skin. You are not the only one as loose or saggy skin is an usual problem after shedding a huge amount of weight (greater than concerning 50 to 100 pounds) in a short amount of time. In time, you may see improvements in your skin’s flexibility, yet some people may require surgery to eliminate excess skin.
Risk Factors for Loose Skin After Weight Loss
According to cosmetic surgery professional Natalie Kita, the main elements associated with your skin’s elasticity consist of:
- Age: As you get older, your skin comes to be much less flexible.
- Genetics: Genes affect how much suppleness your skin preserves as you grow older.
- How much weight you lose: When you shed a huge of quantity of weight in a short time, such as with fat burning surgery, your skin doesn’t have time to shrink along with your body and might be completely extended if you’re overweight for a long period of time.
- Sun exposure: Your past, present as well as future direct exposure to the sunlight can harm your skin.
- Nutrition and water intake: Your skin might not be as healthy and balanced or firm if you aren’t obtaining well balanced nourishment, vitamins, as well as minerals (specifically Vitamins C & E) and also staying moisturized.
- Smoking: Smoking cigarettes can quicken the normal aging procedure of your skin.
Preventing Loose Skin
The most effective means to prevent loose skin is to drop weight slowly, concerning 1-2 extra pounds each week. Sluggish fat burning permits you to preserve muscular tissue mass while shedding fat and also it also enables your skin to change as you slim down.
What You Can Do About It
Since we’re all various, everyone will certainly have a various action after slimming down. Some individuals may recuperate swiftly while others may require to take into consideration body contouring surgical procedure to eliminate additional skin. Body contouring surgical treatment is a pricey and also major surgical treatment needing a lengthy recuperation time.
Plastic surgery experts suggest waiting at the very least a year after weight management to enable your weight to support prior to thinking about body contouring cosmetic surgery.
You might be able to make a distinction with other choices, such as exercise and also a healthy and balanced diet. A standard cardio as well as stamina training program can help you lower body fat while building muscle. When you add muscle mass, you can boost how the skin looks as well as may be able to reduce some sagging.
Zahra Thunzira is a Jakarta-based nutritionist and gym instructor. She’s also an adventure travel, fitness, and health writer for several blogs and websites. She earned her Master degree in Public Health from University of Indonesia.